Monday, June 28, 2010

It's time start dancing!


The last two weeks in church (in two different churches, since I’m a roaming gnome), they sang the Chris Tomlin song Our God is Greater.  And each week I got really choked up during the chorus and bridge.  This part:
Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God…
Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God…

And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
What can stand against?
I have no clue what is coming over me each week, other than God constantly reminding me that he is really greater.  That nothing that happens here on earth can ever halt my God and his love for me.  After I get over my emotional bout in the first 10 min of church, I am constantly distracted (at our church in Jersey), by the massive amounts of little kids!  Man they are too cute, ok reeling my attention back in on the service…but the newborn in front of me is staring at me!
The lesson this week was on 1 Kings 18 specifically 18:16-39.  I may have very well missed the overall point of the lesson but this is what I drew from it: Elijah was fed up with those worshiping false gods (yes another false god lesson…apparently I really need to look at this), and asked them  21”How long will you waver between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow him; but if Baal (their false god) is God, follow him”.  The Chaplin explained the Elijah was fed up and was telling the people, just pick a side, whatever it is that you are going to worship, and worship it full on.  Don’t waiver between God and your false gods, pick a side.   He also asked a question which stuck with me-what are you dancing about?  Are you dancing about your team winning, or your great accomplishment (false gods of our time)?  Or are you dancing about God’s greatness?  How awesome God is to allow those amazing things to happen to you?
So this week I’m going to work on my dancing (I know, watch out right?) J  I’m going to work on dancing (maybe more mental than physical), for God’s awesomeness.  Remembering that it isn’t I who accomplishes anything, but his love through me which gives me talents. 
God, thank you for another day closer to Doug coming home.  I pray that you will continue to calm my heart during the last days of his deployment.  Lord I pray for continual reasons to dance in your name; I pray for the safe return of Hubby/Daddy Fillmore to Mama Fillmore, I pray for Capt Aubrious’ journey to Qatar this summer, use her to bless those there, I pray for Mel-O’s dad’s health and for her peace of mind during this tough time, I pray for Colin as he deals with the loss of his mom, I pray for my in-laws as they prepare to begin the journey to sell their home, may this bring them some financial security and all those who are slipping my mind now.  Lord give us reasons to dance, even if it be through the tears.  In your Son’s holy name I pray (and dance). Amen!

2 comments:

  1. One of the visuals that my preacher uses is to think of church as a football game... when I go to an Auburn game and we score a touchdown I'm jumping up and down and screaming. Our entire lives should be like that for God. That one always kills me, because really... I can't remember the last time I was that excited for God. So dance away Hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea E-I always dance at my accomplishments, forgetting it's God that got me there not me. So I'm working on remembering. Eventually we'll be dancing machines :)

    ReplyDelete