Sunday, June 20, 2010

paper still not done....

but what the hay....today was my first day at a new church (again...), but clearly God had the message already prepared just for me.  The message focused on idols other than God, mainly our earthly bodies, our obsession to transform it into something its not and our fantasy that we can life forever.  While it is important to take care of the gift of a body that God has given us, there is also an unhealthy and idolatry issue with this.  Ah this  was speaking right to me! I've been struggeling with weight gain, and lack of motivation to run, which used to come naturally to me.  I've defined my adult life as being a workout queen and a runner.  However that isn't the case lately, so I joined a gym, I hired a personal trainer, I write down what I eat (hate that!).  Part of me wondered if I was just in a different phase of my life where running wouldn't be my identity and it was time for a new one.  Well clearly that was the message today.  Not that I'm going to quit running, or get a refund on my personal trainer, but I'm not going to let that run my life and become an obsession.  I have to run to praise God for the body he has given me, not run to prove something to myself or others. 

The second part of the message was tougher for me.  I've been struggling with working in a job where I'm bombarded with death every day, with Doug overseas.  But the message was a reminder that we are not earthly beings with heavenly experiences, we are heavenly beings and this is our earthly experience.  This, what we do every day, the goals we set before us and strive to achieve, are only temporary.  Our permanent place is our home in heaven with God. 

So today I pray for God to show me all the things that I have been falsely idolizing and to take them off their thrown, and to replace the rightful owner of that thrown, Jesus Christ.  I pray for others who are struggling with earthly goals and idols who may not realize it.  I pray that God will open their eyes, so that they may return their focus on him.  Lord please be with those who are separated from their spouses, that their spouses may return home to them safe and sound.  Please bless all the fathers, father figures and those that yearn for a father.  May they all recognize you as their one true father.  In  your son's name I pray, Amen!

Happy Father's Day friends!   

3 comments:

  1. Good message! I've struggled with this as well...with wanting my identity to be something earthly and not something heavenly, which is one of the reasons that getting out of the air force was a tough decision... I felt that it made me a failure. I applaud you for searching out churches- it is SO easy to say "I'm just TDY, it doesn't matter" because you really have to step out of your comfort zone. Hopefully this church will continue to be a blessing for you while you are in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOPE! This is so moving! What a great project and undertaking! Keep it up, you have a follower here! :)

    ReplyDelete