Wednesday, February 8, 2012

It’s my ends and I’m allowed to say my end justifies my means

The ends justifies the means: my birth story-let me enjoy it without negativity! 

I didn’t plan it, I actually planned against it, but clearly there were other plans and the ends were pretty awesome.  I’m going to start from the end and go backwards.  The end is-I have a friggen healthy happy kid.  This kid is just about perfect.  (yea he may have just taken 10+ min to cry himself to sleep for a nap, but he’s out now! I call that perfection).  Not a thing wrong with him, health wise.  Oh did I mention he is happy.  Almost all the time (I blame his father).  Unless you are depriving him of food or sleep, he is a happy camper.  And me-I am 11 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.  If it weren’t for the lack of jeans I’d be happy with my body, but seriously only having 2 pair of jeans to wear is crazy.  I ran a ½ marathon 3 months ago-that’s 3 months after my wonderful son was born.  3 months after my plan did not listen to me. 

The plan-a natural, medication free, non-induced child birth.  The reality- I had a freak rash all over my feet, that was driving me insane.  Nothing helped.  Heat made it worse; and it was August-oh and I’m hot bodied.  So I get super hot super easily.  Oh and did I mention that I had food aversions during my pregnancy and gained way too much weight b/c my doctor told me to eat whatever I wanted when I told him that healthy food made me sick to my stomach, and all I wanted to eat was chips and bread (FAIL!)  So the docs induced me, I didn’t want it, but I wanted my feet to stop being on fire-ALL THE TIME!  And I kind of wanted to meet my kid.  Call me selfish.  Being induced did nothing, kid wasn’t moving, well he was, his large dome was banging against my pelvic bone with each contraction-what a lovely feeling that was!  After 9 hrs I was 3cm dilated (fail!)  I caved, and asked for an epidural, I just couldn’t do it any longer.  They tried to give it to me, but his heart rate dropped and there we were at an emergency c-section.  Within minutes the pain was gone, and I was happy (and warm….man was I warm…like a warm cozy feeling).  A short while later they handed us a happy, healthy, beautiful boy (I had lost my bet with Doug that it was a girl, but won in life b/c I was a mom). 

So yea, I’m a statistic.  Call it what you want.  But, I don’t feel bad about it.  There is nothing for me to feel ashamed about as many articles against c-sections would like to make mommies like me feel.  I didn’t pick the date my child would be born because it was the day most convenient to me, or because I liked the date.  Don’t try and make me feel bad.  (and yes, I realize some don’t have that intention, but think about it…if you are writing about how bad c-sections are, then in some ways you are putting a negative spin on my birth story.  Each time I say I had a c-section, there is a pause before the person ask what happened, and I feel as if I have to explain how there was a failure on SOMEONE’S part-the doctors, me, the kid.  But God clearly had a plan for me.  I had all the education, I had the plan, but God and Walker had another plan).

I have a wonderfully healthy child and I am healthy too!  In the end I can’t ask for anything more!  Would I have like to have had a natural birth, yea, but I’d also like a personal chef, maid and to learn to teleport myself (and maybe Walker and Doug….no more car trips…that sounds awesome…).  Education is great, I’m all for it, but let’s support those whose plans don’t work out quite like they’d like.  You can call me weak, but this weak Mama has a healthy child, and scored a 97 (out of 100) on her PT test (5 mos post c-section).  Weak my patoodle! 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this story! It's nice to hear too, since after my 36 week check-up the doctor told me I may need to be induced or possibly have a c-section, which I am like you and want to do the natural birth. Maybe there is some plan out there that works better for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as the baby and you are healthy, the route doesn't matter. And you shouldn't feel down because it didn't turn out like you planned. No one will ask your child if they came out the canal or if they got a side entrance to enter our world! ;) If you have any c-section questions don't hesitate to ask!

      Delete
  2. I was kind of like you with my first pregnancy. I had planned on giving birth naturally but then I went past due date and no baby. I was due Feb 6th and was induced on Feb 14 because my fluids were low and baby girl didn't want to leave on her own. After maybe 8 or so hours of labor I was given the news I didn't plan for. We were going to have a c-section since baby girl was not dealing well with labor. I was mad at first but it all changed once I heard my sweet baby girl crying. It didn't go like I had planned but it all worked out because I now my healthy and happy princess who will be turning 7 next week. Thank you for sharing, so many of us go into our pregnancies thinking one thing but it almost never works out the way we plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope, have people given you a hard time about your birth?!@ Hopefully not! As far as people asking about your C-section, it's probably out of concern. Don't let that bother you. I know I'd be interested b/c I care about you! I'm proud of your birth goals, strength, & current little boy. You guys always sound so happy, which is refreshing amongst the motherhood woes (sleeplessness, annoyance, etc.) I normally hear about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, healthy, baby and mom are not always the norm so how EVER God sees fit to bring that about..... is a miracle!! Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
    Proverbs 19:21

    Much love sister!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. All that matters is a healthy baby. I thought I'd have an easy delivery. Not. 2 weeks overdue. Induced. Wouldn't come out. Even with forceps. Everything was a disaster. C-section. Should you have more children, do your VBAC research and decide what is best for you. Don't get pressured either way.

    ReplyDelete